Hark to the bark. Snark in the dark.
Come on, lose those blues and greens!


   Subscribe with Bloglines


Powered by Blogger

Good reads
Archives
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
<< current

Check to have links open new windows.
September 29, 2005
Claude Rains visits Louisiana
People in small-town St. Helena parish are shocked - shocked! - to discover how many among them are all too willing to believe the racist portrayals of Katrina refugees.
"The only thing we see about these people on the news is what happened in the Superdome," said Philip Devall, 42, a white resident of Greensburg, at a recent meeting of the parish government. "They're rapists and thugs and murderers. I'm telling you, half of them have criminal records. I've worked all my life to have what I have. I can't lose it, and I can't stand guard 24 hours a day."

About 2,000 evacuees have been staying with friends and family in the parish since Hurricane Katrina, and police officials here say that crime related to the newcomers has been virtually nonexistent. But many residents say that fear is the driving force behind their opposition.

"I want to know how many sex offenders they're going to move in next to me," said Marci Kent, 36, also a white resident of Greensburg, at the meeting. "And I got daughters, too."

Amazing. 2,000 evacuess have been living in the parish, but all this guy knows is "what happened in the Superdome". Of course, it didn't actually happen, but when your fear circuits are engaged, reality often comes in a poor second.